– Selecting the correct abrasive blade is dependent upon the design of the cut-off machine and, to a large extent, the operator preference.
– Abrasive blades are generally characterized by their abrasive type, bond type and hardness.
– Determining the correct blade is dependent upon the material or metal hardness and whether it is a ferrous or a nonferrous metal.
– In practice, it often comes down to odor and blade life.Resin/rubber blades smell more because the rubber will burn slightly during cutting, however resin/rubber blades do not wear as fast and therefore last longer. On the other hand, resin blades are more versatile and do not produce a burnt rubber odor, but they do break down faster. Resin blades also provide a modestly better cut because the cutting abrasive is continually renewed and thus produces a cleaner cut.
– Also note that the traditional “older” technology for producing abrasive blades resulted in very specialized resin/rubber blades. Finding the proper resin/rubber hardness, abrasive size, and blade thickness to match the sample properties and the cutting machine parameter required a lot of testing and experimentation. Thus, in the past, resin/rubber blades had been more popular in the market; however, in more recent years as resins have improved, there has been more of a trend towards resin bonded abrasives.
– Conversely, resin bonded blades have typically been more widely used in the European and Asian markets for quite some time.
Selection Guide :
|Description / Application||10-inch||12-inch||14-inch||16-inch|
|Soft non-ferrous materials (aluminum, brass, zinc, etc.)||MAX-E250||MAX-E300||MAX-E350||MAX-E400|
|Hard non-ferrous materials (titanium, zirconium, etc.)||MAX-C250||MAX-C300||MAX-C350||MAX-C400|
|Hard and case hardened steels||MAX-VHS250||MAX-VHS300||MAX-VHS350||MAX-VHS400|
|General steels and ferrous metals||MAX-D250T||MAX-D300||MAX-D350||MAX-D400|
|Universal Thin Blade||MAX-A250||MAX-A300||MAX-A350||MAX-A400|
|Industrial general purpose thin blade||MAX-I250||MAX-I300||MAX-I350||MAX-I400|